DIY April Showers Tote Bag
Ah, April. That month of rain showers, spring scarves, cute light boots, and adorable tote bags. Okay, I made that last one up but we can totally make that a thing. Let’s start by making our own adorable tote bags. I have just the idea below. Happy sewing!
Materials: 2 pieces Canvas (12 x 14 inches), 2 lining pieces (12 x 14 inches), 2 cotton bag straps (23 inches), printed scrap fabric with various prints, Velcro (2 inches), interfacing, sewing machine, and white thread.
1. Before we assemble the bag, we must first create the cloud and raindrops. Only the bottom of the cloud will be drawn and cut. The top part should be straight and measure 12 inches. This top part should correspond to the top of the canvas bag. As for the teardrops, you may cut them in any size you want. Make sure that you iron the cloud and teardrop pieces to an interfacing to make them stiff.
2. Once the cloud and raindrops are properly interfaced, position them on top of one canvas piece. Play with the layout and find a composition that you like.
3. Pin the cloud and raindrop pieces to the canvas. Sew to the canvas using tight zig-zag stitches.
4. Here is the final look of your tote bag’s front:
5. Take this front and layer it to the other canvas piece, right sides together. Pin and sew, leaving the top part out.
6. Turn inside out. Measure 2 inches from the top sides of your bag. Use this mark as a guide for attaching the straps. Pin the straps. DO NOT SEW.
7. Set aside your outer bag. Now we focus on the lining. Sew the Velcro by the top side of each lining piece.
8. Sew the lining, right side together. Sew the sides and bottom but leave a 4-inch allowance along the bottom.
9. Insert your outer bag into the lining. Pin the top together, like so:
10. Sew along the top, attaching the lining to the outer canvas section of the bag.
11. Turn the bag inside out by pulling the front through the allowance along your lining bottom.
12. Flatten and pin the top. Topstich all the way around the top opening of your bag.
Pat yourself on the back because you just made an adorable April Showers tote bag!